Monday, February 25, 2013

The Cowtown

When you think you are stuck, just try something different.  If all seems lost, take a chance.  You are never too "anything" to GO FOR IT.  Your circumstances are never too "anything" to GO FOR IT.  Find a way and do it.  Attitude can be and is everything...even in running.

Sunday February 25th turned out to be a great day for running.  The reports looked dreary at times the week before with talk of high winds and possible precipitation.  Circumstances that proved to be "in your head" stuff at best. This just proved again that God takes care of everything and gave some special conditions for a special day in The Town of The Cow.

Kathy, Jessica, and I woke up at 4:45am got our stuff together and headed for Fort Worth.  Traffic in and around the race site was non-existent and we were able to park and relax in The Will Rogers Memorial Center.  The temperatures were cool so being inside was nice for all of us.  There were plenty of portalets for the event which already seemed bigger than last year.

Kathy and Jessica planned on meeting me at mile 14 and 22 or so.  I was glad for that to look forward to.  Chris Medley, my running partner, planned on being support  every 4 miles or so along the course.  That really played into the days events and was so appreciated.  He had LL Gatorade, Powerbar Gel, Water, Candy, and Pickle Juice.  He also brought his camera with a pretty good size lens.

I originally planned on running The Cowtown with Chris, but a cycling accident has sidelined his training.  When I registered, I knew The Cowtown was only 7 weeks before Boston, so I estimated my finish time at 3:45.  Hence, I was placed in Coral 2.  I am sorry Cowtown for breaking a rule and wandering into Coral 1 and starting with Coral 1 runners.  But wow, I am glad I did. 

The race start was brisk.  Lots of fast runners charging down Lancaster and letting all that "taper week" energy creep out.  I am glad I kept my gloves and beanie and under armor on, as it was a bit burr-weenies.  My plan was still to run a fun 3:45 pace run and see what happened as the day unfolded.

Mile 1:    7:22
Mile 2:    7:15
Mile 3:    7:15
Mile 4:    7:10    29:01

I was looking for Chris all through Mile 4 and knew he would be looking for me, but did not know what he was wearing or what side of the course he would be on.  Right near the end of Mile 4, there he was.  Camera out.  Shooting.  Cheering.  Gatorade ready.  Running along with me.  Asking how I was feeling.  And then I fumbled my Gel and kept going.  I had packed Gels, but wanted to conserve those if needed later, so I wondered if i would need to break into my stash this early.  NOPE.  Up the hill at North Side Drive and onto Grand Avenue came Chris with all his gear and blue jeans and catching me to deliver my food.  What fun times. 

Somewhere between Miles 5 and 6, I started looking for someone to "settle in" with and log some cruse miles.  2012 Cowtown Half, I found my buds and ran a fast PR.  I was not really looking to PR today, but why not find a cruising partner and pass the time.

Just about then, Marathon Runner 1597 moved into my area.  We ran next to each other for a mile or so, mixed in a water stop, and melded back in pace together.  Last year, I plugged into a Marathoner and an Ultra Runner, so I was sure to match up this year. 

I was the first to talk and asked him what time he was targeting.  He told me 3:15 and I instantly was intrigued.  He told me he was currently about 1 minute ahead of this pace.  I then told him I would like to run with him for a while. 

Mile 5:   7:14
Mile 6:   7:07
Mile 7:   7:07
Mile 8:   7:16    57:44

With The Hill looming in the distance, Chris met me with Gel and Fluids.  I told him my plan to run with "3:15 Guy" and he approved.  He told me to conserve and not talk.  I think I gave him my gloves here too.  He said he would see me on the other side of Town.

Well "3:15 Guy" has a name, Brian.  He told me he also had support on the course.  His wife would be on her bike and several friends would pace him through different areas of the course.  He also said we were going to "give some time back" on The Main Street Hill and not lose it here.  I found out this was Marathon #20 for Brian, who was a DFW lifer, but his first Cowtown.  He knew a lot about the course as did his wife.  Turns out, they knew a lot about running and cycling and swimming as they were Triathletes.  Yep, there is the tattoo...shoulda seen that.  I felt comfortable and a bit uneasy all at once.

Mile 9:   7:28 (Giving back on The Hill)
Mile 10:  7:45 (The Hill Continued)
Mile 11:  7:37 (Past the Half Turn Off-No Looking Back Now)
Mile 12:  7:24   1:27:57

Brian talked with me and his wife and pacing bud about many things.  The time and miles just whipped past.  He told me about his Kenyan Pal who "ran 10,000 Meters" so he signed him up for The Half.  Such a funny story...He told him to "Just stay with the fast people and run to the end".

I kept my Beanie on as the shade was still a bit cool on my ears, but the weather was shaping up to be perfect. The wind was kind of out of the South and East.  It seemed to hit us all through town and then some, but it was not too strong. 

Kathy and Jessica were somewhere around Mile 12-13.  They had a Cutie all peeled off for me and it really hit the spot.  Chris was also right there with his support, so this was an uplifting stretch.

Mile 13:   7:04   (13.1 1:36:05)
Mile 14:   7:12
Mile 15:   7:17
Mile 16:   7:18   1:56:47

Along in these miles we picked up the 3:10 Marathon Pacer.  I did not talk with him, but I think he was missing his marks and was off pace a bit.  We stayed in single-file for some time in an attempt to cut wind.  There were 6 of us in this group and I could feel my pace weakening to Brian's, but I kept pounding forward.

The sun was strong and my head was really sweating.  I knew I would need to shed the beanie and the under armor really soon.  The beanie would be simple.  The under armor was a photo opp for sure and I did this with very little grace or poise at all...in Overton Park as things FINALLY headed back North.

I finally came unhitched from Brian's Group. It became a bit lonely.  I wondered if I would need to just back off and cruise in at 8:15 pace and take what The Cowtown gives me.  I had come quite far and decided to Go For It.  I could not find a good runner to link up with, but I sucked it up and pounded on.  I knew there would be excitement and tail-wind headed back through Trinity Trails.  Look FORWARD and GO.

Mile 17:   7:24
Mile 18:   7:27
Mile 19:   7:28  (The Turn-Headed North)
Mile 20:   7:33
Mile 21:   7:32
Mile 22:   7:49

I remembered Sioux Falls final 6 Miles.  The struggle and cramps.  I wanted so badly to not cramp this time.  I could feel, what I thought were, the starts of that "Cramp Feel".  Chris kept me fueled with Gatorade.  I made sure to Water at the stops.  Each step I took where I changed levels on a curb or turned to head uphill, I braced for the "Cramp Feel" and it never came. 

It sure would be nice to share these last few crampless miles with somebody.....Enter "Pink Floyd Listening Guy". 

I did not get his Name, Bib Number, and don't think I could pick his photo out, but he was a life saver.  His I-Phone was cranking out The Floyd, we were running a good pace, and boy did it help.  We ran the entire Trinity Trail together chatting and dodging the crazed cyclists bombing past us at unreasonable speeds.  He also knew folks along the way and was a huge help in making the

The final song before he told me to "Go Get It" was Pink Floyd's "Time"

"Time"

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then the one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in the relative way, but you're older
And shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
When I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away, across the field, tolling on the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
And hear the softly spoken magic spell


Instead of just trying to "Hang on in quiet desperation" I wanted to and decided to RUN.

On Trinity Trails, I told Chris and "Pink Floyd Guy"..."I'm going to PR".  My spirits lifted.  The positive attitude did it.  Saying it, did it.  Sharing it, did it.  Doing it, did it.

Mile 23:   7:54   (my only "stop/ walk" as I wanted to get Gel and Water down)
Mile 24:   8:07
Mile 25:   7:55
Mile 26:   7:51
Mile 27(0.37)  6:43   3:16:17

The finish was cool.  I found Kathy, Jessica, and Chris in the crowd and waved as I headed towards the line.  I was overcome with emotion, but did not cry this time.  Re qualifying for Boston and a PR was cool, but it was really neat that Kathy and Jessica were here. 

Food and after party stuff were better than ever at The Cowtown.  Plenty of good stuff like Hot Soup, Ice Cream, Chocolate Milk, and Popcorn.  I did get the last banana, according to the volunteer who quickly handed it to me. 

The volunteers and organization for The Cowtown were spot on.  Never a need went unmet.  Things moved on schedule.  I will be back.

My race did not go as planned.  My schedule and timing, again, are much different than the one running my life.  I am happy for the way it turned out and know this little part of my life can be a glimpse of the big picture.  Work your butt off.  Trust your training.  Be prepared to change and GO FOR IT.  Don't let your circumstances STOP YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment