Saturday, April 26, 2014

2014 Boston Marathon

By now you may have seen pictures and heard stories of The Boston Marathon, so this may not be much different than those.  Yes, it was very cool.  Yes, there were so many runners and screaming supporters out there on Monday.  Yes, it was a great day to be a alive, in Boston, a runner, and an American.

A Boston journey often begins well before Patriots' Day of that year and my story does.  Thank you 2013 Cowtown Marathon for helping me Boston Qualify and set a Personal Record.

My journey also brought along the usual ups and downs of a weekend warrior. Ups, like the wedding of Jessica and Thomas.


And downs like 2013 Dallas Marathon cancellation, missing 2014 Cowtown, and yep, losing my job at Sprouts.

This is what makes the 2014 Boston Marathon a Journey!!!

On board JetBlue 714 to Boston
It was fun gearing up and making all those blog posts and counting down.  Many friends and even my runner friends may have been getting just a bit worn out by all the hype....but man it is exciting.  

We arrived late Saturday, so Sunday would be out Expo day.  I also planned to get up early and take a short spin with Bart Yasso and Koach along The Charles River. 

Bart leading the group towards The Charles River.

We also made a pass by where Koach and his buddies were stopped last year and ran the final leg with them to FINISH their 2013!!

Koach and his buddies on Commonwealth Avenue right before going under Mass Ave.

A moment at the finish.
Kathy and I went to the Expo after my run.  As we walked west on Boylston, we passed the finish line and we neared the spot of the first blast.  We continued on to the spot of the second bomb and Kathy showed me where she was standing last year.  It was near the second blast.  We took a few breaths and thanked God again for his Divine Providence in our lives.

The expo was a buzz.  Lots of people.  Lots to buy. I grabbed my packet and we looked around.  Kathy needed a nap and I went to hear The Legends Seminar.



Greg Meyer, Jack Fultz, Amby Burfoot, Billy Rodgers, and Katherine Switzer speak!
Dinner that evening was at Maggiano's and it was just right.  Salad, Pasta, Salmon, Bread, and some Apple Pie.  

Marathon morning came quick after an OK night of rest.  Golden Adventures had buses for us and we would connect with an Official Boston Marathon Bus just South of Hopkinton.  The ride was relaxing and longer than I remembered.  Our connection was smooth for as many runners there were and all of us got wanded.



Athlete's Village was packed.  This is the only place where the sheer HUGE amount of runners was evident.

You can see authorities securing the area on the roof.  We are in a new time people.
I met Nelly and we adjusted out gear.  It was already warm enough to remove our donation clothes and we tried to get some food down.  The village had bananas and bagels.  There was no need to worry about bringing much more than what you would need for the run.  We headed for the start line and just basically followed the crowd to the corrals.

Wonder why that guy behind us has his bib upside down?
Nelly and I started our run soon after we got to the corral.  We walked to the start line and then began the nearly 4 mile downhill plunge.  I felt great.  We really wanted to stay together and gain strength from each other.  It helps to have a familiar face and smile with you for what was going to be more than a three hour run.

The crowds were thin early on but very vocal.  Many looked for a high five.  Others, after several miles, handed out water, oranges, or even beer.  Nelly and I talked and made sure we got water when we needed. It was going to be a hot one.

I think around mile 8 or so, I felt some discomfort in my right quad.  It may have started in the hip.  It was slowing me down.  

I felt a surge at Wellesley, about the halfway point, and did record an awesome video to try and show some of the energy.


As we neared The Newton Hills, we stopped to see if I could stretch out my right leg and feel better.  It worked some, but the downhill pounding had taken its toll.  Nelly was a trooper and slowed her pace.  I tried so hard to keep up with her and just run an easy 9:00 minute/ mile pace.  I just could not move my legs. They were done.  

Nelly tried to urge me on saying we only have 3 miles till the hills are done.  We had talked about how that final 5-6 miles after the hills was a place where anything can happen.  Just make it through the hills with something left and go for it.  I soon lost Nelly around mile 18-19.  I was in so much pain, especially in the downhill portions.  I had forgotten about the nearly 1 mile extreme downhill dive that occurred right before The Newton Hills.  It was brutal.  I was having a bad running day.

I looked around at those I was with and caught the eye of a guy who was walking, just like me.  I was about to start crying from all the emotions, and he kind of smiled at me.  I smiled back and shrugged my shoulders and said "Man, I don't know what to do.  My legs are trashed."  I looked at the crowd and they urged me on.  This would become a cycle for the final miles of this great race.

I looked at their faces.  I listened for their cheers.  I high-fived when I could.  I spoke with them.  I thanked them.  AND WOW, they thanked me.  The kids waved flags.  The students held signs.  The girls screamed. The old-timers gave the knowing nod.  So many just wanted to connect and that is what I needed to make it. Thank you people for your energy and power.  You gave me what I needed to make it.  I hobbled and ran and winced in pain as my right calf cramped when I went to fast.  I smiled and they smiled back.  They pushed me. 

That run from Boston College down Commonwealth Avenue was glorious.  It was slow and it was fun.  I knew I was hurting, but these crazy people of Boston were not going to let me quit.  Those Commonwealth Crazies pushed me to Boylston.  They propelled me to that perfect straightaway with the finish line in sight and my beautiful wife nearby.  They made me feel good about what I was doing.  I sure hope I did the same for them.




Kathy kissed me and told me to finish.  That was all I needed to hear. (3:54:57)  It was not my fastest or slowest marathon.  It was one that I will not forget.  Still feeling the effects of those punishing downhills today, I am thankful for that memory and will use it to make it to Boston for 2015.

On our way to the Expo.







No comments:

Post a Comment